Saturday, May 21, 2016

Trying to be a gardener

I am not a gardener.  I don't enjoy anything that involves digging in the dirt, worms or bugs.  But I do want my little house to look pretty.  So I'll give it another try. I'm slowly digging out the dead stuff and weeds and getting closer to planting new 
Soon this patch of mud will be the new home for my dappled willow.  On the other side of the step I still have some digging to do.  There is a dead rosy bush with ridiculously deep roots and a dead potentilla on the far right.
At least the tulips are pretty.  To the left I plan to plant a hydrangea and I have a euonymus for the left. 
I also broke down and bought a new lawn mower with adjustable wheels.  Now my lawn will look as good as my neighbors.  Look how nice and close it cut the grass?
I hated spending the money but I was so happy with the results I think it was worth it.  I've complained about that old mower since I moved in.  The sellers left it for me which I appreciated but it was time to retire it.   The weather for the rest of the weekend is iffy so not sure if things will get planted yet.  And I desperately need to scrape and repaint my window frames so if it's not raining in the morning I plan to get right at that.  I should have done it last year but........procrastinated.  Lol

9 comments:

  1. I think you are doing so great. I think your flower bed look wonderful as does your yard. Its so green! Mine is already brown.
    I like that your tulips are still blooming. I hope you get your other things finished that you want to do. You are a busy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Kim another way to get a great look is large plant pots buy bright color pots and plant annuals a great look for not a lot of work. I wish I lived near you I am down sizing some of my gardens and have hosta by the boat load they are easy and to care for and pretty.
    keep at it you will make a gardener out of yourself yet!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh...dirt and worms...reminds me I need to do some outside work too...think I'll procrastinate some more and hook instead...maybe Abby can help with the digging...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little house shows mighty character and pretty to boot; love your tulips. I used to love gardening but not so much anymore ~ but still must be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're off to a great start. Think perennials ~ more expensive initially but you don't have to plant them every year, but like Cathy said, pots of annuals add instant color and last all summer.
    Happy digging :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, but it will be so pretty. You will do great. You've already added so much character to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Evening Kim, looks great, it's worth the digging in the dirt and bugs,Ha!!!! Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is going to look great! Just remember to keep on top of that dappled willow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new plants will look really nice - love the tulips!

    ReplyDelete