Well, I'm learning a LOT of lessons in my little foray into making a quilt. Most importantly, it does require some pre-planning. (I did not pre-plan, I just dove in). I used my 2 charm packs and made my 9 patch blocks but didn't calculate what I needed. So to make this rentangular I didn't have enough blocks.
This was too narrow but if I added another row of 3 blocks, it would be square and I wanted rectangular. But I didn't want to buy more fabric since this is truly just a "practice" piece. So I decided to be like Saundra and "tweak" things a little.
Now if you are a REAL quilter you may want to stop reading right now because I'm sure you are about to be horrified . I took 2 of my finished blocks of 4 and removed the middle seam to "half" them and came up with this tweak.....
Now the top is all pieced into one top
I've since layered the 3 layers and started sewing it together. The next "lesson" was I decided since it wasn't perfect anyways I should see if I could machine quilt it without a special walking foot for my machine. Note: I have since ordered a walking foot online.
Tomorrow perhaps I'll try sewing the binding on. This will become a blanket for Abby.
Another good reminder, to move your hand when using the rotary cutter