Friday, February 3, 2017

Oops again.....

I hit another pothole on the road to quilting success.  Ugh it's so frustrating.  Wednesday night I came home with a brand new jelly roll pack of fabric strips for what I assumed would be an easy piecing project.   At least that's what the woman on the video made it look like.   All I had to do was join all 40 strips into one looooong strip.   So away I went, happily joining and sewing.  I started out fancy, doing chain piecing for the first few strips but that was getting messy looking so I cut the chains and continued on just joining and cutting threads as I went.  At 10pm I finished the last piece and then looked at them. This is where things got ugly........I had sewed 90% of the seams on the wrong angle so they didn't lay out flat.  
Friggetty Frack!   I got so mad at myself I just left everything on the floor and went to bed.
This was an evenings work, for NOTHING!  It probably took me over an hour to fall asleep because I just laid there and stewed over how stupid I was.  I didn't touch it last night but tonight I'll start ripping out about 35 seams and re-sewing.     Another sewing lesson learned.   This is starting to get annoying.  At least it's Friday.  TGIF

8 comments:

  1. WTF? Isn't this just like thinking you're dating Mr Wonderful? Dump it before it becomes a real problem. Something I should have done before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. arrrrr I would have done the same. Love the colors though
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too hard on yourself. There is a learning curve to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not dumb, you made a mistake at least you had the guts to try. Keep the lesson and forget the mistake. I really love the fabric and it's worth the effort of trying again.
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. The main reason I gave up quilting? I hate sewing! Good luck kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...I can say that I have done the same. That is the beauty of a seam ripper. LOL I have also completely pieced a top, told myself that "that little wrinkle won't show", started quilting and found out that the little wrinkle I ignored...is now the size of the Grand Canyon. LOL Every quilt is a new adventure. If you love it, stick with it. If you hate it? Start a new project. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your just making the mistakes every beginner makes. Chalk it up to lesson learned. If you love that fabric, un sew it, if not----don't be afraid to toss it----or give it to someone who wants it. Quilting be came less stressful when I learned to throw things out. One project I was doing was nothing but mistake after mistake, wasn't fun anymore, so it got laid out on the cutting table, grabbed the rotary and cut away, up and down, sideways, until it was in small pieces, threw it in the garbage and had a big sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now seems like a good time to admit to how many times I have sewn my nearly finished quilt "sandwich" together with on side facing the wrong way!!!!!

    ReplyDelete